Due to the generosity of donors, Girl Scouts of Kansas Heartland is able to offer several scholarships. This year’s council scholarship offerings are:
- George and Jayne Smith Scholarship: $3,000 (up to six scholarships to be awarded) 2014 Smith Instructions
- Helen Liefert Scholarship: $500 (one scholarship available)
- Alumni and Friends Scholarship: $1,000 (one scholarship available)
- Gold Award Scholarship Application 2014: $2,500 (up to two scholarships available)
- Shirley Mosher Scholarship: $500 (one scholarship available)
- Dolores Crum Scholarship: $ 250 (one scholarship available)
NOTE: One transcript and two set of references are required (only one (1) copy of the transcript and references is needed even if applying for more than one scholarship). Click here for scholarship reference form.
All applications are due no later than January 17, 2014 by 5 p.m. to:
c/o Scholarship Committee
360 Lexington Rd.
Wichita, KS 67218
Recipients of named scholarships above will be recognized through Girl Scouts of Kansas Heartland print and online materials as well as possible council events. We look forward to receiving your application; for additional questions contact Calla Wiemeyer at (316) 684-6531 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Girl Scouts, are you making a difference through volunteering? If so, Prudential Financial and the National Association of Secondary School Principals (NASSP) wants to recognize you! You could win $1,000 and a trip to Washington, D.C. in May. To learn more about application requirements and details, you may go here. Application deadline is November 5, 2013.
Annually, the Veterans of Foreign Wars recognizes four individuals: Eagle Scouts, Girl Scout Gold Award recipients, Venture Silver Award recipients and Sea Scout Quartermasters who have risen above their peers in exemplifying the exceptional qualities of that rank with the following:
- $5,000 1st place scholarship
- $3,000 2nd place scholarship
- $1,000 3rd place scholarship
To be eligible for the award, the candidate must:
- Be a registered, active member of a Boy or Girl Scout Troop, Venturing Crew or Sea Scout Ship.
- Be the recipient of the Eagle Scout Award, Gold Award, Venture Silver Award or Sea Scout Quartermaster Award.
- Have demonstrated exemplary citizenship in school, Scouting and community.
- Have reached his or her 15th birthday and be enrolled in high school at the time of selection.
In June of 2013, GSUSA announced the new Alcoa Chuck McLane Scholarship available for Girl Scout Gold Award Recipients. Gold Award recipients who completed a “Take Action” project involving a STEM field (Science, Technically, Engineering and Math) are invited to apply for a $10,000 college scholarship. Two scholarship recipients will be selected each year through 2017. Alcoa will also provide scholarship recipients with an Alcoa mentor for their freshman year. The two scholarship recipients will receive the first $5,000 for freshman fall semester followed by the second $5,000 for her fall junior year if she maintains a 3.0 GPA and plans to continue her education in a STEM related field.
The parameters and structures of the scholarship include:
- Deadline for submission is February 12, 2014.
- Scholarship awarded to Gold Award recipients with a project in STEM.
- Recipients must be enrolled in an accredited four year college, beginning their freshman year in the fall of 2014, and continuing their studies in STEM. (At time of submission applicant may not be enrolled in college yet but will have to confirm enrollment before scholarship can be awarded.)
- Scholarship funds will be used exclusively to defray educational costs such as tuition, fees, books, and supplies, as well as room and board in a college dormitory.
Click Here for the application to the Alcoa Chuck McLane Scholarship Program.